Big Night For Combat Fitness Athletes At RFA 27

Combat Fitness/SBG Idaho athletes went 2-1 last Friday night, when RFA 27 touched down at CenturyLink Arena (Boise, ID) and put on the first nationally televised MMA event in the Gem State.

The night opened with CF/SBG Idaho amateur lightweight, Jordan Ransom (2-4) taking on Paul Crawford. The bout was primarily contested on the ground, as both fighters exchanged numerous takedowns, sweeps, ground strikes and submission attempts. Crawford had the advantage in time spent in top control and was able to land the more effective ground and pound, particularly in round 1. Ransom was the aggressor in terms of submission attempts, nearly securing a rear naked choke at the end of round 1 and an armbar in round 2. In the end, it was Crawford’s top control and effective ground striking that carried him to a unanimous decision victory (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

In the evening’s third televised bout, CF/SBG Idaho coach, Scott Thometz (8-4), made quick work of Daniel Swain, scoring a knockout 30 seconds into round 1!

The featherweights wasted little time, immediately exchanging blows from the opening bell. It was a perfectly placed right hook from Thometz, as Swain rushed forward with a combination, that drew the curtain. Swain went down hard and Thometz quickly finished him off with several clean ground strikes.

20150704074207_07_Scott_Thometz2 20150704074208_07_Scott_Thometz4

In the evening’s bantamweight main event, Combat Fitness/SBG Idaho coach, Jesse Brock (21-8) ground out a unanimous decision victory over Joe Murphy. Round 1 saw both fighters using a lot of movement and feints early, trying to get a feel for the other. Near the halfway point Brock was able to secure a takedown at the edge of the cage, where Murphy remained for the rest of the round as Brock scored with effective ground strikes and control.

Round 2 saw Murphy regain momentum, as a standing elbow from the clinch, early in the round, opened a cut over Brock’s left eye that immediately began bleeding and obstructing his vision. The remainder of the round saw Murphy stay just a step ahead in the striking exchanges and successfully negate Brock’s subsequent takedown attempts.

With the outcome still very much in doubt, Brock came out aggressively in the 3rd round, looking to regain his lost momentum. With about 90 seconds left and the standup exchanges fairly even to that point, Brock secured a powerful double leg at the base of the cage and went to work with ground and pound, opening a cut over Murphy’s right eye as the round concluded.

All three judges cageside, scored the bout 29-28 in favor of Brock.

20150704074110_10_Jesse_Brock1 20150704074111_10_Jesse_Brock4 20150704074113_10_Jesse_Brock8

It was a great night for our team and a huge step forward for the entire Idaho MMA community!

For more information and results from the entire card, check out

Related Articles